Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Mask

Okay, I will admit it now: I am an avid fan of the Bachelor/Bachelorette. I love the show, no matter how stupid it may or may not seem. Right now the Bachelorette is on. Well, not at this exact moment, but it just started 2 weeks ago. One of the men vying for Ashley's heart is named Jeff and this is how he's been introduced to her, the other men, & all of the viewers.

Now, everyone is FLIPPING out about him and how weird he is. And I will admit that at first, I agreed that it was weird. On the first night, he told her that he wanted her to get to know him and his personality before he revealed his face. All of the guys assume that because of this outward mask that he has something to hide. Does he? Probably.

But this is where my thoughts went with it as I was reading comments on how much a freak this guy is. We all wear masks. Why is he considered weird for wearing one when we all do? He's just being honest about it because you can SEE it.

I hate masks, but I find myself putting up fronts ALL the time, so that people won't see the real me or what I'm going through. And this has hurt me in the long run. The majority of the people around me do not know the real Arynn, except for a select few. I have perfected the art of wearing a mask, and now that I am trying to get rid of it, it haunts me. I hide behind these masks because I am scared that people will not like me. Heck, my own brother doesn't like me, so what's going to stop this stranger from disliking me. My mask will, duh. Sadly, that's my train of thought. As I take the mask off, I long to hear that people like me...the real me, the Arynn Behind the Mask. I long for validation that I am worth it, that I am beautiful, that I am funny, that I am nice, that I am selfless, that I am friendly, and that I am worth hanging out with.

Masks suck. Take your's off. You won't regret it. I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment